Sunday, August 4, 2013

Maori spirals

I was looking for something else on the Internet when I happened across Maori spiral facial tattoos. Wow! I printed a design that was circular. To use it as a 'string' I had to combine some sections, otherwise they were just too thin. Even so, there wasn't a lot of room for tangles, but I managed to squeeze a few in there.
Tangles: Black Pearlz, Firecracker, Flux, Lamar, Paizel, stripes.

I really liked the black and white, but I wondered what it would look like in full color. If you're trying to figure out up from down (ooo, four prepositions in a row!) the bottom of the black and white one is at the top of the colored one.
Tangles: Black Pearlz, Lamar, Opus, stripes
I love these swirly spirals, but it was a challenge to put some tangles in there.

10 comments:

  1. You always make such a beautifull work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow... just wow. I love the use of the tattoo as a string. Nice work as always Margaret!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love, love, love the Maori art, even had a fish hook done in gold for my mom's engagement diamond. These are quite spectacular. The first one is very Maori and beautifully done. The color in the second really gives the design a whole new look and is quite gorgeous. Wonderful post, as usual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan. I want to look up more of these designs. The gold fish hook sounds lovely!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful I have never heard of these spirals before. I'll be looking them up

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are really beautiful! Is the color version done with colored pencil?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda! The colored one is done in colored ink, with a bit of colored pencil for shading on the white areas. Sakura makes 01 size pens in several colors; if you go a bit larger there are more colors available. I also have some Faber-Castell brush tip pens that I quite like, and there are lots of colors available there. I always try to use archival materials.

      Delete
  6. Gorgeous pieces of artwork!! Also I love the rainbow colors of the second one! Absolutely great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so happy to see Maori art used - it's so perfect for tangling! I have performed with an amateur Maori dance troupe for a couple of decades and though I'm not Maori, I LOVE the art, music, and dance. The Maori tattoo (or more accurately Moko) is really interesting and becoming more popular. Thanks Margaret - I love the designs and colors you have used!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your Maori spirals and Maori art. Look up Maori feathers particularly their tattoo designs. You may find some with more room to zentangle in!
    Mary in Aussie

    ReplyDelete