Saturday, September 17, 2011

All you need is LOVE

Zentangle weekly challenge 39 involves the possibility of a prize! Laura Harms, a.k.a. The Diva, is offering some pocket pages that are just the right size for storing Zentangle tiles. I bought some a while ago from Crop Stop and they're great if you want to keep your tiles in a binder so they can be easily viewed. Type "zentangle" into their search box and you'll see some other supplies too.

I'm rather enamoured with writing in other scripts, like Sanskrit, Arabic and Chinese. For a few months I've had the idea of using a Chinese character as part of the string. The character for 'heart' (xin) is quite simple and this seemed a good opportunity to try it out. Love could also be lots of hearts, so I did another piece for the challenge. I tried to work a spiral into the mix, but maybe it's a bit too much, and there are probably too many different tangles too.

Tangles: Assunta, Black Pearls, Caviar, Florez, Flukes,
Prestwood, Puf, Striping, Tripoli, Zedbra
Tangles: Bateek, Black Pearls, Caviar, Echoism, Finery, Flukes,
Flux, Keenees, Knightsbridge, Lotus Pods, Parabola, Paradox,
Prestwood, Spinners, Striping, Tidings, Tortuca, Triral, Tripoli

Last February I participated in a Valentine themed ATC swap. You can see my contributions here. Valentine's Day is one of my favorite holidays. It has so many things that I love: hearts, chocolate, roses, the color red. I used black and red inks on white paper and liked the effect, so I used it again for this challenge. The ATCs all looked so good together that I had the idea to do a series of nine 'heart' tiles that I could frame as a group. I'm in no hurry. I won't use the first nine that I do. Here's one of the good ones thus far.

Tangles: Caviar, Coaster, Lotus Pods, Munchin,
Paradox, Perfs and dots

“Love gives life to the lifeless. Love lights a flame in the heart that is cold. Love brings hope to the hopeless and gladdens the hearts of the sorrowful. In the world of existence there is indeed no greater power than the power of love.”  Abdu'l-Baha

3 comments:

  1. Oooh, fantastic as usual :D I especially like the first one. The third one is pretty neat too, but I agree that it does seem a bit busy compared to usual. I look forward to seeing your 9-square of heart themed ones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning as usual, I love the way you have uesed the red to bring out the hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!really beautiful! So far I have not tried using colours in my zentangles, but your pieces have convinced me to try! Like you I am also fascinated by lettering - symbols in different languages and in my response to Zentangle Challenge #39 , I have submitted two entries, one with a Arabic - Urdu script and the other with a Japanese script.
    Thanks for the "colorful" inspiration !

    Regards
    K.N.Malathi

    ReplyDelete